Sensei Mish believes everyone deserves a self-defense education so they can live a live without fear. This is what drove his interest in the martial arts, eventually inspiring him to begin teaching. Due to over protective parents, Sensei Mish did not begin his martial studies until mid 1990, after he turned 18.
Like many, his training began in the Korean sport of Tae Kwon Do. It was during this time that an instructor of his introduced him the Okinawan style of Ryukyu Kempo and the Dillman theory of Pressure Point Fighting. Not being a sport minded individual, the arts of Kyusho-Jitsu and Tuite-Jitsu and the idea of a purely self-defense style was extremely appealing to him and this has been his main focus ever since.
While keeping Kempo as his main style, Sensei Mish has explored other arts and styles such as Modern Arnis, Aikido, Judo, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Small Circle Jujitsu™, and Kenjutsu. He has had the privilege of working with high-ranking instructors in these arts, most notably George Dillman, Professor Wally Jay of Small Circle Jujitsu™ and Professor Remy Presas the Father of Modern Arnis.
Sensei Mish presently runs Handwerker Martial Arts from his home dojo teaching Kempo and Modular Knife. He occasionally teaches seminars and is the author of several DVDs. Sensei Mish is also the developer and host of the web series, Kyusho Korner™ where each episode is dedicated to the exploration of attacking pressure points and other kyusho topics. He continues his studies of Kempo under the guidance of Grandmaster Mark Kline who he hosts several times per year. He also continues his Modular Knife studies under its developer, Grandmaster Bram Frank.
Sensei Mish’s Credits and Certifications…
- 5th Degree Black Belt – Ryukyu Kempo Karate
- Black Belt (Lakan) – Combat Arnis
- MBC2 (Modular/CRMIPT) Advanced Instructor
- Administrative Director – CSSD/SC (Commons Sense Self Defense/Street Combat)
- Handcuffing Instructor (ASP and PATH® Certified)
- Baton Instructor (ASP and MEB® Certified)
- OC Instructor (OCAT® and Providence Certified)
- Prevention and Management of Assaultive Behavior – Master Instructor
- Oregon DPSST Certified Security Professional / Supervisor Manager – #27828
- BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED)
- Awarded the Life Saving Medal – Portland Police 6.2010