Kempo Karate is our primary program with classes available 2 days per week. We take students as young as 8 years old and as old as those who want to train. We have broken down our classes into 2 groups:
- Junior (Ages 8-12) / Grades 3-6)
- Adult (Ages 13 and up)
The style of martial art we study is based on Okinawan Kempo. It incorporates strikes, joint-locks, and pressure points. This style is extensively kata-based, having most of our techniques and applications come straight out of the kata we study. Our focus is self awareness and self defense, not sport.
Just like our art, our curriculum is based around kata, which are choreographed patterns of movement. At various levels a new kata is studied and broken down in to self-defense applications. In the beginning students are taught specific applications from the kata learned at their level. As a student progresses, they are encouraged to develop their own applications. This helps students think for themselves allowing them to make the kata and style their own.
Each rank level also includes the study of specific joint-locks, pressure points and other principles which are all interconnected with the kata, making this art very easy to learn. Also included are weapon based kata and techniques which are both traditional and practical for today.
Here are the base kata that are contained in our base curriculum.
- Bassai (Old Temari Version)
- Kusanku (Bushi Matsumura Style)
For younger students, the curriculum is simplified and is designed to strengthen a child mentally, physically, and emotionally.
The threes we focus on…
- Physical Self-Defense: This helps build a student’s focus, physical strength, hand/eye coordination, self-confidence, and self-control
- Mental Self-Defense: The students becoming more aware of themselves and their surroundings
- Verbal Self-Defense: Physical fighting is sometimes not the answer. Non-violent discussions can also resolve conflict.
Classes are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you would like to join the class, please schedule yourself for a class.